- Vitamin K2 activates proteins that promote bone formation and retard calcification and hardening of blood vessels.
- Vitamin K has been shown to prevent vascular calcification or hardening of the blood vessels, a serious complication of kidney disease.
Zinc deficiency leads to:
- defects in immune system and infections
- loss of hair, taste, appetite
- Delayed wound healing
Note: Too much zinc can lead to copper deficiency. KidneyVite contains the right amount of zinc.
Copper deficiency leads to:
- decrease in white blood cell count
- decreased ability to break down fat in the body
Selenium deficiency leads to:
- Heart disease (cardiomyopathy)
- Myopathy, myositis
Lycopene deficiency leads to:
- Oxidative stress
Lutein deficiency leads to
- Heart disease and stroke
- Cataract and age-related macular degeneration
- Cancer at various sites
KidneyVite is the world's first complete multivitamin for kidney patients containing:
1. Active Folate (5-methy THF)
2. Vitamin K
5. Other minerals (zinc, copper and selenium)
Unlike many other vitamin supplements, KidneyVite contains 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate.
Why 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate should replace folic acid:
1. For it to be active, synthetic folic acid needs conversion to 5 methyl THF by liver enzyme MTHFR.
2. The conversion is impaired when ‘T’ genotype of MTHFR is present.
3. 2 copies of ‘T’ genotype severely impair MTHFR enzyme activity and ‘TT’ may be present in up to nearly one-third of any population, depending on its race/ethnicity.
4. Unmetabolised folic acid is associated with immune suppression (↓ NK cells) and cancer.